Monday, March 8, 2010

My Piso

My first few days in Granada were predominantly spent searching for a piso (flat) to live in. In Spain, there is a website called loquo.com that is similar to craigslist. Unlike craigslist, however, the posters usually put very little information in their ads... something along the lines of...

"Se alquila una habitacion. Comparto piso con dos otras chicas y busco uno mas companero/a de piso. El piso esta muy centrico, grande y luminosa. Si te interesa, llammame a 555 555 555."

... no ages, interests, photos or desrciptions. Just a phone # and address. This resulted in halting "spanglish" conversations filled with long, uncomfortable pauses.

I thought I had found my spot, speaking to a potential companero de piso who is an architecture student from Brazil - sounds promising, right? Desafortunadamente, the piso was a wreck. Filthy bathrooms, dishes in the sink & the pervasive stench of wet sponges(credit to haley for that odor descrip.)and weed.

Don't fret, this post has a happy ending! I found the perfect Piso* and companera de piso**, through a friend of a friend. A charming two bedroom, split level flat with a English girl, Jenny, who has been living in Granada for several years.

*No Piso will EVER compare to the 1614
** No companeros de piso will ever compare to my 1614 roomies.

mi cama

La Sala
No hay horno! How am I gong to make gluten free, agave sweetened oatmeal cookies?

A view of the courtyard from my room

No comments:

Post a Comment