Sunday, March 7, 2010

Act 1, Week 1: Blog slacker already...

I said I'd give this blogging thing a go, so here I am...a little behind already after a whirlwind first week traveling through england and ending up in espana.

Oy, i'm going to miss Seattle, my house, our fabulous dinner parties. Fish & Chicken taco night @ the 1614 for my last night in the states.

Nathan waiting for us to serve him food


The spread: Grilled chicken, pan fried fish, guacamole, black beans (whole & refried), chili lime cabbage slaw, poly-ingredient salad, tortillas ala microwave
Me gusta fish tacos y vino blanco

Week 1 consisted of..

First. A trip to Bristol to visit Dan
Second. A stop in Oxford to visit cousin Tom & his wife Claire
Third. A day in London to revel in college memories
Fourth. Granada, where i'll stay for the rest of march and april

BRISTOL
Dan said to me when I dropped him off at the airport in Seattle - "I bet you're the most likely (out of the Seattle roomies) to come visit me in england the soonest." I lived up to his augury, stopping through Bristol just 4 months later...

For those of you who did not meet Dan in Seattle, he lived with us for the month of October & won us over by cooking us pumpkin risotto, letting his tea water boil extra long (Dhoe was especially fond of this) and of course with his charming accent.


Bristol's Clifton suspension bridge, circa 1860s

Unfortunately my stay was very short. We went to a "shit italian" restaurant (their words, not mine) with Dan's roommates & medical school buddies, all lovely folk. The next day, Dan took me on a brief walking tour of the City.





dan & i playing on the train tracks



OXFORD
next stop was oxford to visit my second cousin Tom & his wife Claire. Tom & I met the year I was studying in London (upon the request of our parents) and were immediately relieved that we actually liked each other! Coincidentally, Tom & his wife Claire studied in Granada a couple of years ago...more on this and small world coincidences later.

Here we are, posing for a photo like all good chinese relatives do!

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to walk around Oxford, but from my brief visit it's how I imagined it: Classic english architecture & an abundance of well-dressed, scholarly looking ladies and gents. A photo from Oxford ~

LONDON
I took the train into London for the day (what wonderful commuter trains they have in Europe - fast, timely & comfortable). The weather was absolutely beautiful so I ended up walking around London for 7 or 8 hours, covering 10+ miles on foot.

I started with the old hang-outs & University College London campus (where I studied for my junior year of college). Oh the memories!

...to Schafer Halls, home of Me, Nikki, Shirley, et al.
Buckets of late night rice with soy, sriracha and a fried egg on top were consumed in this building...

...the to the UCL Quad...

...continued up Tottenham Court Road through Trafalger square...


...Along the Thames...with a nice view of The Palace of Westminster, Big Ben & the London Eye...


..through the "posh" neighborhoods of Kensington and Knotting Hill...



....With a beautiful sunset to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment